What is the Hacking for Heroes programme?
ZX Security is looking to give away 200 hours of cyber security consulting time to not-for-profit organisations who provide invaluable services to the community through the Hacking for Heroes programme. Yes, we think that organisations who are working hard to help the community and vulnerable groups are Heroes! This programme is offering cyber security consulting, i.e. penetration testing (external, internal, mobile, web app), training, solution design review, etc. which is at the core of what ZX Security do.
Why are we doing this?
Often not a week goes by without a data breach or ransomware attack popping up in the news. ZX Security would like to help not-for-profit organisations identify and provide guidance on how to fix security issues, so they are less likely to be involved in a security event that could negatively impact what they do. We think that this is particularly important as community organisations often hold information on behalf of vulnerable people.
Who should apply?
Do you hold information on behalf of vulnerable people? Do you want to ensure that it is safely stored and managed? ZX Security is looking for organisations who provide invaluable services to the community, we want to help them lift their security posture and hopefully prevent them from becoming a victim of a security breach. So if you are a not-for-profit organisation based in NZ requiring cyber security consulting then we would like to hear from you!!!
We tried hard to keep the process as simple as possible as we are aware of the time & resource constraints that many not-for-profits are faced with.
The selection process will be carried out through several stages including:
Call for expressions of interest and stage 1 questionnaire
- This consists of a few questions about your organisation and your involvement with the community, it’s very short and shouldn’t take more than 7mins to complete!
- A link to the questionnaire is here
Shortlisting of applications and stage 2 questionnaire
- Based on your answers in stage 1 we will shortlist organisations that we will progress to stage 2. Here we are going to get a little bit more technical, so input of one of your tech team will be very helpful! The second set of questions will be mainly targeted around how we can help you and your online systems.
- During this stage we might need to have a follow-up phone call/meeting to pinpoint exactly which cyber security services would be best suited to you.
Selection of organisation(s) and agreeing to terms of engagement
- Once we select organisation(s) we would like to work with and decide on the scope and terms of our engagement we will be working more or less independently. However input of your development and technical team might still be required.
- We reserve the right to select organisation(s) without disclosing our reasons.
During the engagement
- We will work fairly independently but it is recommended that one of your tech staff is available for any follow-up questions, we don’t however anticipate needing more than an hour or two of your time during the engagement itself.
- 11 December 2020 - Call for expressions of interest - stage 1 closes
- 29 January 2021 - Shortlisting of applications - stage 2 closes
- 15 February 2021 - Selected organisation(s) announced
- January/February 2021 - Follow-up sessions with selected organisation(s) to scope the engagement
- January/February 2021 - Definition of scope for penetration testing/cyber security consulting and agree to terms of engagement.
- From February 2021 (flexible) - ZX Security conducts penetration testing/provides cyber security consulting and delivers a report outlining issues identified. We can also conduct a follow-up meeting with senior management / the board to discuss the findings from the engagement.
For more information you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org